Monday, April 9, 2012

Grounded!

I know, I know I owe you guys the rest of my credit card series- I will get to it this week I PROMISE!

First, I thought I'd catch you up on where I have been for the last few weeks...

Remember that pile of receipts I had piled? As I watched the calender switch to April 1st I realized I better take care of that NOW. I am not usually such a procrastinator but this year was different business-wise and I have been totally mortified at what my taxes were going to look like. Also, after the "separating process" of my receipts I realized this was going to take a lot of work and honestly I didn't want to deal with it- but mostly it was me being a chicken.

So time to dive in- I decided before hand that the only way I was EVER going to accomplish this goal was to ground myself. It works for my kids- it should work for me- right? So, NO Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Blogging, reading, etc. Working- only the basics, housework minimal. If you've been playing Drawsomething against me- you were actually playing against Kiohud- and I have to add, I'm sorry some of those were TERRIBLE! Every free moment would be dedicated to completing this dreaded task. I did allow myself to take a run every night (in order to keep my sanity).

A lot of you have asked me and now I can tell you that Neatreceipts is AMAZING!!!!!! It saved my life! You scan the receipt in at any direction, it formats it, takes out the store name, date, amount paid, and sales tax, and inserts it into Quickbooks (or Quicken) for you. This eliminated half of my work. I did actually have to sit here and make sure the receipt went in correctly and that the amounts added up. It will sometimes read them wrong. (it was usually pretty accurate) I will add that if you have as many receipts as I did I would go for the bigger version (which I just found out excised) I will be purchasing that this year as it is supposed to compute at greater speeds. After all of the scanning I complied all of the rest of my data and created what I think is a pretty great Profit and Loss report.

I have an appointment with my accountant April 14th. If all goes well than I was able to pull this off with a day to spare! Pretty good considering I already had my paperwork ready in case I needed to file an extension. Hopefully my taxes go as well as my profit and loss and for now, I am officially un-grounded! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment