Friday, March 9, 2012

Don't Do This!!!

Okay, so some of you have heard of my horror that is my receipt drawer that I had to eventually turn into a cabinet... Well, with tax day around the corner today I faced my worst fear and separated my receipts. I must warn you this is not for the faint of heart I feel like there should be some kind of disclosure here like look at these pics at your own risk and please don't judge me based off of them!



Here is what my cabinet looked like this morning...







One of the biggest benefits to having a business is the ability to write many things off- a tax shelter if you will. The biggest downfall- you HAVE to be organized. I promised myself at the beginning of last year that I would not do this to myself, but here I am... :( I made that promise again today so hopefully I can be more organized this year. So my plan went like this:


I bought all of these containers to separate by month.




Next, Kiohud and I separated and separated- it took at least a few hours to do this.




I am one step closer to my goal everything is at least separated my month! Next step enter everything into QuickBooks- for this I need some serious help so I bought this.




It's a device called NeatReceipts. You hook it up to your computer- it scans every receipt, enters it into QuickBooks for you and then saves a digital copy- an accountant's dream. Does it work? I haven't got that far yet- but I'll let you know!!! If this doesn't work- you may not see me until April...  Wish me luck and pray for me please!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. How did the scanner work? I might invest in one of those... and quickbooks, and a laptop lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried it yet! I will let you know as soon as I do. They retail for about $200 but you can get one for about $100 on Ebay if you don't mind refurbished... :)Yeah, you might want to get the other things first- if you don't have too many receipts manual entry is really easy. If on the other hand your pile looks like mine- you are going to need the help!

    ReplyDelete