Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My World of Potty Training...

With Hannah starting preschool in the fall we figured we better get started on potty training. As a parent of 3 I can tell you that potty training is one of my least favorite of the parenting jobs. There are some people in this world that are gifted in the area of potty training I just don't happen to be one of them!
I have come to the conclusion though that at some point EVERYONE gets potty trained so I just don't stress about it. (Kiohud disagrees and says I've never seen some of his patients, apparently some never learn to make it to the toilet- but I think that's a whole different subject!)

Last week we started potty training Hannah. I figured we'd do the let her run around commando and bribe her with a piece of candy method. I honestly can't remember how we did it with Emily, but this method worked for Jacob. We had a few accidents but Hannah seems to be waaayyy easier than the other 2! I did allow both her and Jacob to get a piece every time she went and this seemed to be the charm. Every time Jacob has a sweet tooth (which is pretty often since we usually don't give them much candy) he will go and say "Hannah, I think you have to go potty now". The other day I asked him Jacob how come you get a piece of candy and Hannah is the one doing all the work- she's the one going potty." Jacob replied "Mom, I think I deserve a piece of candy too." took his piece and walked away. I thought that was pretty funny because he actually has helped in this process I just didn't think a 4 year old would figure that out!

Today was our first pull-up free day!!!!!!! I am so excited. We even went out and I asked her "Are you sure you don't want a pull-up?" She said she didn't so off we went. I packed extra clothes just in case but to my surprise she came home dry! I do have to mention that she does know how to work it and will sometimes request to sit on the potty even if she doesn't have to go just to get a candy out of it! So, it seems as if our diaper days have come to an end at least for the time being anyways.... :)

2 comments:

  1. I started training my daughter just after turning 2 and she took her self to the loo at 2 and a half. this time around, (second daughter) im not going to push her. she's 20months now and when she's ready, ill train her. i keep being told by the in laws i should start training her now, i finally told the in laws the other day im not going to.
    Potty Training Girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes- good job steering clear of the peer pressure! Do it when she's ready! My other 2 didn't go until they were 3, so I was happy that Hannah was a quick learner! Like I said, we all potty train at some point- so there shouldn't be so much pressure! :)

    ReplyDelete