Friday, February 10, 2012

Cake Pops!

I have been wanting to learn how to make a cake pops for awhile- for those of you who don't know what a cake pop is it's basically a cake shaped as a lollipop. I think they are so cute but when I looked up the recipe awhile back it looked sooo confusing! Then I saw this infomercial- I am not an infomercial-kind of girl but since I have been wanting to make these, I was instantly attracted to this one... Bake POPS so for $28, you get not 1 but 2 sets of Bake Pops- I was sold on the idea but not the price, since I only needed 1 and didn't want to pay $28 for it. I then found it on sale at Walgreen's of $13! YAY! Not only could I try it, but if it turned out to be a total flop,it would make returning it a lot easier...



Ok, so in this box comes the pan to make the cake pops, 20 sticks, the little yellow things that hold the pans together while baking and of course instructions:




To make the cake pops you need:  Any cake mix, frosting, and your choice of decorations:


So directions are pretty easy: Prepare cake mix according to directions (we always substitute apple sauce for oil to reduce calories and make it heart friendly :) ) Then pour into the pan which should be lightly sprayed with oil on both sides.


Then put the lid on and fasten together with the little yellow tabs.


Put into the oven, here is where the directions went off a little the directions called for 25-30 mins but after 18 I could smell "cooked cake" I pulled out and sure enough they were done, had I waited I would have had "burnt pops"
Let completely cool before opening- Jacob waited patiently...

Here is what they look like once cooked:

Put a little frosting on your stick before you insert to get it to hold on a little better- They were really easy and kid friendly- they popped right out with no sticking and in perfect form.

Decorate as you wish, today we went kid friendly and as easy as possible just plain frosting and sprinkles- next time I'd like to try actual melted chocolate...




End result: We loved them- very user friendly, easy, quick and cute. Things I will probably change next time are: I will probably get sticks that are a little thicker since these were not the sturdiest (might try Popsicle sticks) Also, as I said I will probably try a harder chocolate base.



Enjoy! :)

1 comment: