Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Start Your Own Business!

At your request- here are some basic things you should know when starting your very own business!

1. What is your motive?- Know your motive/s- write them down, this may seem silly but this will be good for reference later especially if times get tough!

2. Know your talents- Don't start a business in something you have no interest in just because it will "make money". Do what you LOVE! If you don't know what you are good at ask friends and family- chances are they have already identified your talents for you! :)

3. RESEARCH!-  Know what kind of business you are getting in to, costs, your market, and your competition.

4. Find Resources- This may be tough, do you need financing? Employees? Equipment? Suppliers? Where will you get all of the resources? Compile a list so that you are not stuck a few months down the road.

5. Lifestyle Changes- This comes with ANY business. Sacrifices will have to be made, are you willing to make them? Schedule changes, late nights- make sure every one in your home is on the same page so there are no surprises later on.

6. Money- Do you have enough money to keep your business running? Most businesses take a year or two to yield a profit. Many people go into business expecting it to take only a few months and are stressed when they have to compensate with their personal accounts. Plan ahead so this doesn't happen to you!

 7. Network- Networking with people in similar industries can usually lead to business and good advise. People in the same industry are usually willing to share what did or did not work for them to help you avoid mistakes. Take time to network- you won't regret it!

8. Give it your all!- Going into your own business is hard work! Be prepared to give it your all with no or little rewards in the beginning.

9. Timing- As they say "timing is everything"! Make sure it is the right time for you and your market to launch your business.



My motive to start a business was easy, I wanted to actually see my children grow up. Working a very demanding job that required many hours of overtime I felt as though I missed so much! I prayed and God told me it was time. I put together my business plan and formed Sanderson Enterprises L.L.C., it would be a year before I could actually quit my job. Working for yourself is not always easy. You don't get holiday, vacation or sick pay and in the beginning- you don't get paid at all! For me it took a lot of invested money and time before I saw any profit. Hard work and persistence paid off for me and I was able to quit my "real" job. There are some hard days (and a lot of good days), but in the end I'm fulfilling my motives and I'm here for every milestone that my children reach.

 I know that this sounds like a lot of work and it is but I will sum it up for you by saying, I would never go back to the 9-5! :)

I would encourage anyone that has a dream to go for it! It may not be easy but it will be worth it in the end! Good luck my friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment