Thursday, February 16, 2012

Just In Case

So I have been working on a "Just in Case" file for Kiohud. If you are asking yourself what is a "just in case" file? It is a file for Kiohud to be able to find any details regarding our finances should anything happen to me. I know, I know- this is not the happiest of all subjects but the truth is- emergencies happen, we all will pass away at some point, and we can make this a little easier on our loved ones if we prepare a little. Detailed is a list of the things going in my folder- I'll add more as I think of them and if you have any thing to add please comment on the bottom as I would probably want to add them on my list as well. :)

Bank Account Information: In our home, I run most of the finances. If this is your job also, then do your spouse a favor and write down the names of all of your bank accounts, including account and routing numbers and the most current balance.

Debt Information:  Account numbers, balances and payments for all mortgages, auto payments, and any other debts you may have.

Utilities: This may seem like "no brainer" information but usually one spouse pays all of the bills and the other never even sees them. Also, many of these bills may be paid online so leave all log in information to avoid a lot of stress!

Life Insurance: If you don't have it- get it! Make sure to get enough so that your family is taken care of. Kiohud and I are currently in the market to up our life insurance (after I heard the sentence- If anything happened to you I'd have to get married pretty quickly because I'd need money) so I will write another blog on that soon. Also, policies are not nearly as expensive as you think they are and some can double as an investment account.

401K, stocks, bonds, or other investments: Names and account numbers for these accounts. Always good to go over those documents again and make sure you have the correct beneficiary in place.

Copy of your driver license, birth certificate, and social security card: Will all be necessary for obtaining information.

Your Final Wishes: Morbid, I know. Having done this for my sister recently I have to tell you it was one of the worst things I have ever had to do. Although when I'm gone I will be happy celebrating with the angels I now know that I would like to make everything as easy as possible for my family who I leave behind. Write down all of your wishes and if you do go out and purchase your own "arrangements" have details of that in the file as well.

A couple of signed checks: If any of the accounts are in your name only sign a few checks so that your family can have immediate access to any funds available.

Ok, so that is the list of things that I have complied so far. Now before anyone here starts lecturing me on the dangers of having all of this pertinent information in one file- I am keeping this in my safety deposit box at the bank- I strongly suggest you do the same! Wish me luck as I track all of this down! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment