Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Love Dare Part 1

So this week I went out and bought the book The Love Dare, written by Stephen and Alex Kendrick it is a 40 day challenge and according to the back of the book will help you "learn the keys to finding true intimacy and developing a dynamic marriage." If you have never heard of  the book, there is a movie named Fireproof that it was based off of. Anyways, I bought this book- Kiohud grudgingly accepted (but I don't think he has actually started yet)... So here is my progress so far I have decided to update you every 5 days (this may take longer to post than 5 days since Kiohud works every other day). Also, I should note that if you want to do the "Love Dare" you should go out and buy the book since what I will be posting on here is just a glimpse of what the book has to offer..


Day 1: Love is Patient- Dare: Say nothing negative- basically if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all... This was pretty was for me since I am more of an optimist I ususally don't say much that is negative..

Day 2: Love is Kind- In addition to saying nothing negative you are to do at least one unexpected gesture of kindness... I decided my "act of kindness" would be to wash Kiohud's car for him. I took it in to get washed and even went out and bought him some air freshners. I was home when I saw some dirty spots on the seat so I came in and got a wash rag- Kiohud followed me out and said "Oh, great what did you spill in my car?" haha- I guess I don't do that enough! I also wrote a note and left it on his steering wheel telling him how much I appreciated him (an extra girly detail).

Day 3: Love is Not Selfish- Buy your spouse something that says "I was thinking of you today"  Ok, so this day I have to admit I didn't go as "out" as I should have- The kids had been sick all week and I was coming down with whatever they had so on my trip to the pharmacy I bought Kiohud some Lemonheads and Black Forest Gummy Bears- 2 of his favorite snacks only to find out that he was fasting candy! That's was about all of the energy I had that day...

Day 4: Love is Thoughtful- Contact your spouse during the day with no agenda other than to ask how they are doing and if there is anything you can do for them. Again, I do this probably 4-5 times a day- the only difference is this time I did have an "agenda" to complete my dare for the day! I did feel guilty about that..

Day 5: Love is Not Rude- Ask your spouse to tell you 3 things that cause him to be uncomfortable or irritated with you- you are not allowed to attack or justify your behavior. Ok, so Kiohud had a total field day with this! First, he made me wait the entire 24 hours after initally saying "Oh wait, I have a good one but let me compile a list first!" Then he told me the only thing he could really think of was that I never put the keys away when I got home- ok, so that's not too bad and I half annoy my self when I do it because I have to search for the keys when I am going some where- I will work on fixing this... Oh, and he came up to me today and said how many things do I have to tell you again? I am still working on my 3 things... TIMES UP Kiohud- it was a one day dare!!!!

And that completes my 5 days! I am enjoying this challenge and it's a good thing after 10 years to be reminded every now and then on how to treat and appreciate your spouse!

Keep you posted on the rest of this "dare" and if Kiohud jumps on board I'll let you know how it goes for him too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment