Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Never Pay Full Price For Gas!

With gas as expensive as it is I have found what I think is a very clever plan to save money on gas. I thought I'd share it with you and pass on the savings especially since the last news report I heard said gas would be over $4 by summer...

I am sure you all are aware of the grocery stores that offer .10 cents off  per gallon for every hundred points you accumulate (1 point = 1 dollar). So typically, you buy groceries for the week (or get a qualifying prescription at the pharmacy) and your reciept says you get .10 cents per gallon in savings, which is not bad - but it can be better! I will now refer to Fry's even though I know other stores offer these rewards but Fry's just happens to be a block away from me so it's the store I go to. Near the entrance, I know you've seen them, there are these kiosks with tons of gift cards but if you look closely it also says recieve 2x fuel points or even 4x fuel points if you purchase one of these overlooked cards!



These Kiosk have gift cards for pretty much EVERYWHERE!!! So what I started doing awhile back is buying gift cards for anywhere that I know I will be going. Dinner- they have it. (even fast food) Movies- Yes. They even offer cards for online stores like Itunes, Amazon or Ebay. If you can think of  it they probably have it, with the exception of the grocery store's competitor. Fry's doesn't have Walmart gift cards but they do have Target cards, so hit this place up before buying those electronics and household items. These work especially well if you are working on projects around the home since they have Home Depot cards as well (your husbands will rack those point up quick with this one). You are going to spend this money anyway so you might as well make your money work for you! I typically go in and buy all of the gift cards I need, and remember it is DOUBLE fuel points so your $100 now got you 200 points or .20 cents off each gallon of gas! So plan ahead, this is a really easy way to save a lot of money. On a side-note, I also use my rewards credit card to buy the gift cards and then reap double rewards- I'll blog on the beauty of a good rewards credit card another day.

This week I managed to rack up 1000 points- yes, that was $1 off! It was not hard to do, remember that is $500 in gift cards, and even less if you grocery shop there (which I do). So the day I went to get gas it was up to $3.79 so with $1 off we got down to $2.79.






Being the saver that I am I don't just fill up one car I actually wait until Kiohud has the day off so we can fill both vehicles at the same time. I drive a very un-fuel efficient Expedition ALL day and Kiohud drives a fuel efficient Avenger but drives 120 miles to get to work and back for 1 shift, so trust me we need all of the gas savings we can get! So we take both cars line them up and fill them both up at once, as long as you do not put the gas handle back in the keeper, you can keep fueling (this requires some team work). This week we filled up both cars for $94.28- probably not the number you want to see when paying for gas but this actually saved us almost $34 this week.  We fill up both cars weekly so that would equate to saving $136 per month or $1632 per year! We do pretty well with this system and get almost $1 off every time now. (and no it's not ghetto!..it's efficient). Keep in mind, some fuel stations have a limit of gallons purchased.








Hope this saves you some money- remember in the words of Benjamin Franklin "A penny saved is a penny earned" and these days the pennies are getting scarce :)


--Give Away-- 
To be eligible for my first give-away on 3/17  become a  "Google Follower". Winner will be chosen using random.org









No comments:

Post a Comment